Today is a “sick day” here. Little J woke up last night with a very nasty stomach virus type of deal, and I don’t think you want to hear the details. I know I wish that I didn’t know the details. So, he seems to feel a little bit better this morning. At least he’s not throwing up anymore. I’m exhausted from being up all night with him. I can’t really concentrate on work too well, so I thought I would write this post!
Resolution. n. Etymology: 1350-1400, Middle English.
- The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination.
- A resolving to do something.
- A course of action determined or decided on.
I’m not really one for “resolutions” per se. But, I do think that the beginning of the year is a nice time to sit back and think about some things that you might like to accomplish in the coming months. But I’m not too set upon the idea of them being firm and determined. So, therefore, these are my 2009 Aspirations and Ideas.
Aspiration. n. Etymology: 1375-1425, Middle English
- strong desire, longing, or aim; ambition
See, doesn’t aspiration sound better than resolution?
So, I thought I’d write down some ideas that I have been kicking around for awhile just to have them written down and in the front of my mind. Somehow writing something down is different than just thinking about it. I’m separating them into General Life things and Crafty things.
Crafty Aspirations and Ideas
- Take a knitting class!
- Explore woodworking more. I want to make more little wood animals, figure out how to paint them, woodburn on them, etc.
- Make more gnomes. I want to branch out from typical gnomes into pirates, knights, and astronauts.
- Use that Timtex sitting in my craft closet. I’d like to make a little felt mushroom house for the gnomes.
- Use Mod-Podge. I don’t know for what, I just want to make something! Here are some Mod-Podge tips.
- Make a quilt. Not a huge quilt, just a little lap sized quilt. I haven’t completed a quilt since the one that I made for my first which was over six years ago! I have some blocks created (disappearing nine patch), but nothing really moving forward. I want to work on something in that regard.
- Go camping twice this summer. We have plans to go camping with our friends and their boys again. We are going back to the same place we went last year that we loved, and we are also thinking of going to Lily Bay State Park on Moosehead Lake in the Maine North Woods. I think we need a new tent though before that happens. We have an awesome LL Bean tent, but it doesn’t quite fit 2 adults and 2 kids very comfortably. You know when a tent says, “sleeps 4-6” that really means “sleeps 2-3” in my opinion.
- Take the boys hiking in Acadia National Park. It’s close enough to do a long day-trip, or we might even do an overnight or two. We’ll see. I was there last fall and I bought an annual pass for the sole purpose of taking the boys this spring/summer/fall!
- Take the boys to the local art museum for the Saturday morning children’s hour. We have an awesome art museum here in town that we’ve never been to. I’ve been thinking of taking the boys to their Saturday morning children’s hour forever, but we’ve never done it. I am resolved to do that sometime soon!
- Visit the local public library more often. The boys love the library and we don’t make the time to go there often enough!
- Clean and organize my office. It still has boxes in there from when we moved! It is going to be a huge project, because it’s more an issue of organization than just sole cleaning. But, that is something that I really want to do.
- Expand our vegetable garden. We created a few Square Foot Gardening plots last year. We want to make more! Hubby and I need to sit down soon and think about what we want to plant this year. There were some things we planted last year that we don’t want to do again, and some things we didn’t plant that we want to try. Also, we are going to get started a little bit earlier. We started a bit late last year because we were building the boxes. For example, our spinach didn’t do well at all, but it was because it was planted too late. It really likes that early spring weather.
- Try out at least one new dinner recipe each month. I’m so busy with work and the kids, that I tend to fall back on old standbys for dinner every night. I guess I should feel lucky to get dinner on the table at all! (Last night was “breakfast for dinner,” scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.) But, I get all these great cooking magazine! I want to try out at least one new dinner each month. That doesn’t seem like too lofty of a goal.
- Be more social. It’s so easy to get into your little routine (aka “rut”) and go about your business. We’ve lived here over a year now and it’s time to get out! We now have a great babysitter, and I want to be more proactive inviting other families over for dinner, going out to dinner with new friends, etc. New friends don’t become old friends unless you work at it!
- Figure out how to better incorporate some music in our house. I have a friend who has marvelous whole-house music (well, it’s almost whole-house), and she even has it set up with her I-pod somehow and can set up playlists on I-Tunes that she then plays in the house. I don’t know. I’m not too savvy that way, I just love being in her house! So, that is an aspiration of mine that I will assign to the hubby.
- Work on settling into our new house. We’ve lived here over a year, and we still haven’t hung pictures and done some things that I would like to do (paint the lavender bathroom). So, I want to work on that a little at a time. I’ve finally ordered a new slip cover for our ugly living room sofa! So, I’m on the road with that one.
So, what do you think? Am I overly ambitious? Since they aren’t resolutions and are just aspirations, I think I’m okay. I don’t need to accomplish them all!
Filed under: Chat |