I decided to make a bunch of summer shorts for the boys. They are very simple cotton shorts, no pockets, elastic waist, etc. I had the boys tell me what kind of shorts that they would like, and I went to the fabric store to find some fabric. I have a template that I’ve made with freezer paper for making the boys pajama pants. I took that template, and modified it slightly for the shorts length, and a few other tweaks. I’ll try to update with a more full-blown tutorial in a few days, but it is quite easy and do-able for all skill levels. The one thing I have learned to be careful of is the elastic waistband. You want to be careful that the casing that you slip the elastic through is almost the exact same size as the width of the elastic. If the casing is too large, then the elastic slips around in the casing when you wash the shorts, and is bothersome. I’ve also been taking tiny scraps of wool felt, and embroidering a size number on the strip, and then tacking it to the back of the shorts. This helps with a few things, 1) the boys know which side is the front/back, and 2) I have been making some shorts with the same fabric and this way I can easily tell whose are whose. I’ve considered modifying the design somewhat to include pockets, but I haven’t bothered as yet. The boys seem happy enough without pockets for now.
On the cutting board are baseballs, dogs and some pirate/skull things. I’m trying to finish up a couple of other projects though before I tackle those. They are already cut out though so I should be able to make quick work of them. Once cut out, I think they probably only take 30-45 minutes per pair, max.
Filed under: Sewing |