Happy New Year! It’s been a crazy last couple of weeks, not only trying to finish up my Christmas crafting and holiday activities, preparing for guests, etc., but also crazy-busy with work and trying to finish 3 different reports within the first three weeks of December. Quite unpleasant. However, those were done by 4pm on Christmas Eve, and all my Christmas crafting was also done on time! Woo-hoo! Even got my Christmas cards out on time. So, now I’ve been laying low since Christmas, hanging out with the fam, and doing some laid back crafting. I will be highlighting my fun Christmas creations in the next week or so. I was really happy with how everything turned out. But for now, here are my New Year’s Eve curtains! Yes, we are boring, stayed home and watched football instead of going to a party, and I made these curtains for my office!
We are having major winter storm over the next 3 days, so we went grocery shopping and stocked up, and made plans for some fun food, and I went shopping for fabric!
I got the fabric at my favorite discount salvage store for $2.99/yard. It is Joel Dewberry Chestnut Hill – Chestnuts (JD10) in Deep Water. It’s good that it was only $3/yd because you need a lot of yardage for curtains! I took everything that they had which was 7.25 yards. And they are fully lined which is a bit of a pain, but worth it in terms of how the fabric drapes, how it looks from the outside, insulation-factor, and all of that. Actually the biggest pain is that they are so large that they are really hard to sew! I’m happy with how it’s turned out so far though and I still need to hem them. I’m trying to decide if I want it threaded across the rod (as shown), or if I would rather attach the curtains with rings/clips.
We did a lot of work on my office this summer. We took out the ugly institutional-grade berber carpet and replaced it with wood floors to match the other rooms in the house. Then, we created a closet in the unused nook where the chimney is, and painted the room yellow. Hubby has taken advantage of his week off for the holidays to make me a new desk(!), he installed wire shelving in the closet, and made a built in desk in a little nook in the corner of the room that the boys are going to use as their computer desk. Now I have curtains! I still need to do some cleaning up and organizing. I want to make some fabric boxes in the shape of a in/out box for my desk top. I think I am going to use the J.Caroline tutorial, and modify it for the size that I want. I also have some posters from the Common Ground Fair that I want to hang, and I need a rug at some point. We also have a guest bed in here (twin with trundle), and I’d like to make a new quilt to match the curtains, maybe make some pillows to match. I bought a few coordinating fabrics from Chestnut Hill, so we’ll see what I come up with.