At the end of J’s first year of school, I promised J’s Montessori teacher some new aprons. I’ve been completing them a little bit at a time. Well, it’s now a new school year, and J was headed off to 1st grade down the street, and the aprons still weren’t completely finished! So, over Labor Day weekend, I finished the rest of them up! Hooray! Two new “special” aprons for practical life activities – lemon/orange juicing and one for banana slicing. (Just noticed a little bit of another project peeking out in the upper right hand corner of the picture below. That will be for next week, I’m really happy with how it turned out!)
Then I made six snack aprons with plain fabric. The fabric is an organic cotton but in a heavier weight than normal quilting cotton. Therefore, I only used one layer of it instead of two. I made the first two with handmade bias tape, but that was taking me quite a bit longer than normal, so I switched to store-bought, even though it’s plain, in an effort to complete the aprons in a timely fashion.
By the time I got to the sixth apron, I had finally figure out a way to match up the starting and ending of the bias tape so it looked nice. I washed them before giving them to the teacher, and realized that I should have pre-washed the little twill tape that acts as the holders on the shoulders. I had pre-washed all of the rest of the fabric and didn’t really think about the twill tape holders shrinking as well. It’s not a big deal, but something to learn from. I hope the children in this year’s class love all the new aprons!