Making Leaf Spirits

Inspired by the post on Twig and Toadstool, I visited my son’s third grade class for their “Halloween” party last week (not technically a Halloween party, but more of a fall-inspired party with healthy snacks based on their nutrition unit that they have been doing), and helped the children make leaf spirits!  They had a great time.  I pre-cut some leaf templates out of cereal boxes, and brought along felt squares (the eco-felt stuff) cut into squares of approximate size.

Prior to starting the craft, his teacher read this story called “The Life of a Leaf.”  Such a wonderful story!  I brought felt in the three colors of the leaf’s coats – yellow, orange and red.  My son’s school colors are orange and black, and the class was having a wear-orange-and-black day.  So, orange ended up being an extremely popular color and I ran out of squares!  Eek!  That’s okay, some kids stepped up to the plate and were willing to take yellow.  I also brought roving in the three colors to match.  We used Aleene’s tacky glue in the gold bottle since that stuff dries faster than most glue.

I had pre-sorted the heads and acorn caps, so that I would make sure that I had enough that matched.  I collected the acorn caps this summer (in August), and prepped them for storage by baking them at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.  You want to make sure you get any miniature creepie-crawlies before storing them!  For some reason, we had an amazing acorn harvest this year.  Must have been the heat.  Some of them were huge!

The kids had a great time, and I enjoyed coming into the classroom and sharing a craft.  Even though it was a bit frazzling with 19 third graders and a fire drill in the middle, to boot!

Advertisements

Halloween Flags

Halloween flags

Inspired by a recent post on the Twig & Toadstool blog, J (who is now 6yo) and I made these flags yesterday before dinner.  It was a quick project, and probably took about 45 minutes.  The pattern is a download from the Toymaker website.  There are four flag patterns to choose from – owl, pumpkin, cat and skull.  Like Twig & Toadstool, we went for rainbow paper instead of spooky/Halloween paper.  J chose two of each design, and picked which color paper each would go on.

Then, he cut out the straight border lines on the top and side, as well as the scallop bottom.  I did the inside cuts with an x-acto knife.  Then we used a glue stick to attach some shiny tissue paper to the back.  To hang the banner, I folded the top down about 1/2 inch towards the back, and ran a length of baker’s twine through, and then taped the folded part down.  Since I hung it in the window, and you can’t see the back, it’s not important that the back look as nice as the front.  Then, we have these odd draw pull knobs on our window molding from where the previous owners had a valance hung.  So, I tied the baker’s twine to a few of the knobs and voila!

You can’t really tell in the pictures because of the morning sun casting a shadow, but the paper is bright blue, green, purple and yellow.

I love it!

Adding a new picture which shows the colors of the flags.  Such a fun and easy project!  I need to think about how to adapt the concept for Christmas.