Okay, not a lot of posting going on because I’ve been busy getting ready of Christmas of course! So, here’s what I’ve been up to, and some little information about a cool little Virtual Open House at my favorite fabric store.
Alewives Fabrics is located in Damariscotta Mills which is in mid-coast Maine. If you are ever here in Maine (or you are you lucky enough to live here), then make the trip! It is the best fabric store that I’ve ever visited. Seriously. My husband is lucky that it’s an hour away otherwise I’d have spent enough to send Rhea (@AlewivesGirl on Twitter, co-owner with her mom in the store) on a trip to Aruba. Rhea is having a Virtual Open House today on her blog. Just visit the blog, leave a comment, and she’s giving away some fab prizes. And in the meantime, while you wait to see if you’ve won, check out her online store.
When I was there last time (at the Liesl Gibson sewing with knits class), I bought some awesome fat quarters of the new Anna Maria Horner Innocent Crush in velveteen. Oooh! It’s awesome. I think I’m going to make some pillows from it. And Rhea has a great eye for combining fabrics and her 20 fat quarter sets are fab. I got a cotton set of Innocent Crush of that too. Not sure what I’m going to do with that. Hmm…I need to finish my Turning Twenty quilt with Amy Butler Daisy Chain, and then maybe I’ll make another one!
So in Christmas crafting news:
1) Still working on the Hood Tree Skirt. I ran into a snag. The front is 42″ round, so they say to use a 44″ square piece for the back. Well, yes, you’d think that would be easy right? Fabric is about 44-45″ wide. Well, not when you’ve pre-washed it. So, all my Christmas fabrics are only about 42″ wide and won’t work as the backing to compensate for any shifting that might occur as I quilt it. And it needs to be big enough because the little houses applique go straight to the edge. Can’t cut any of those off! So, I need to piece the back. Sigh.
2) I did succumb to a little “me” shopping at Sew Fresh Fabrics on Etsy. They had some of comfortstitching’s new Sherbet Pips by Moda in stock! So, I got a charm pack! So excited. It’s not coming out until April otherwise. You can see the style in the Little Girl on a Tree Swing mini quilt that I did a few months ago. I can’t wait to make some stuff for the guest room with that fabric! Sew Fresh Fabrics is great! I also bought some Kona cottons and they mark all the pieces with little stickers with the color name. So useful!
3) I am making some of these cute little owl ornaments.
4) And I have plans for these little house ornaments, a freebie project from the new book Scandinavian Stitches.
5) Hubby and I are going to use his woodworking skilz to make the boys Harry Potter-esque style magic wands! We need to work on those. Maybe tonight.
6) I’m making some more kid-drawing placemats for my mother in law. Finally got the kids to sit down and make some special drawings, and I’m currently cleaning them up in Paint Shop. Then I will print on that inkjet fabric paper and make into placemats. The problem is that last year’s placemats have not washed very well. That inkjet printer fabric seems to hold onto stains. I’m going to try to Scotchgard them this year and see how that works out. I don’t think I ever shared pictures last year?? I meant to do a tutorial for it but got side-tracked by the fact that they weren’t washing well and didn’t really want to recommend it until I figured out that problem.
7) Christmas Eve pajamas. I make the boys pajamas every year that I give to them on Christmas Eve. Haven’t started this year’s yet! I’d better get cracking! I have some quilt flannel with cartoon soccer players on it that I might use. Or I have some baseball fleece. Hmm…
Filed under: Chat, Christmas Crafting, Holidays, Quilting, Random Crafting, wool felt | Leave a comment »